Thursday, 25 May 2017

hanging things

Since Emily loves her mobile that Joanna made her so much - see here for that post - Debbie decided she wanted to make her something similar that she could look at during the day - not just at changing time. She asked me what we could use as hanging things and I said to leave it with me.

This is what I came up with. They're all made on my embroidery machine as what's called "in the hoop" designs - in other words, the whole thing is made in the hoop of the embroidery machine with only a little finishing off by hand (or, in my case, by sewing machine).

I started off with a piggy. I seem to have not taken a photo of the piggy so I've used a photo from Joanna's camera - Tilly shows the scale of this one!

Then I made a horse: (as always, my fingers are there to show the scale)

And a hen:

Then I deviated from the farm theme and made a fish:

A starfish:

A seahorse:

A turtle:

And an octopus:

Then Joanna pointed out that if there was a farm theme - think Old MacDonald - there had to be a cow and a sheep. So ... a cow:

And a sheep:

They're all now waiting for Emily's next visit to Grammie and Papa's house on Saturday. Can't wait! I'm sure she'll love looking at them - although *nothing* could ever beat the mobile that Joanna made.

All the designs I used above came from emblibrary.com - they have no idea who I am, I receive nothing from them for linking to their site. I just put it out there for anyone reading this who's interested.

Monday, 8 May 2017

various sewn projects and baby belly laughs

A bit of a mixed post today. Let's start with a needlecase I made for myself.

Here's the inside:

Then I decided I "needed" to make a couple of pincushions to match. Using hedgehog fabric for pincushions - and a needlecase - just seems quite appropriate, don't you think?

Next I used my ex-Maths teacher skills to make a cube. Funny how the template for making a cube came flooding back to me without too much thought. Some things are wedged in my brain forever, it seems!

I used 6 of the gazillions of 4½" squares I cut out recently.

I quilted each side first then joined them and lightly stuffed the cube.

Emily's quite fond of it! It's not as big as it looks - it finished at just under 4" per side.

It's been quite a while since I played with my embroidery machine so I decided it was about time to remedy that. As always, my fingers are there to show the scale.

I really enjoyed playing with the embroidery machine again. I need to do it more often!

The turtle, pig, zebra and tiger all came from emblibrary.com and the stag's head came from planetapplique.com. Neither of those are affiliate links - I just put them there in case anyone's interested!

Now, this is the best bit of this post. Emily and I were playing at the weekend and the belly laughs that came from her - and from me!! - were hilarious. Joanna caught us on her phone. So. Much. Fun!

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

some skirts

I've been busy making skirts for a couple of young ladies recently. First, Debbie asked me how easy it would be for me to make some skirts for Emily. "Easy peasy" says I. I asked her to measure the one skirt that Emily had and I'd take it from there.

I made her a denim skirt with a broderie anglaise lace trim:

A red stripey cotton skirt with ricrac trim:

A bright pink needlecord with a fancy ribbon trim:

A royal blue needlecord with another fancy ribbon trim.

I *knew* there was a reason I've been hanging on to all those ribbon trims for years - decades if the truth were told! I remember saying once before on here that my Grandad used to say that, if you kept a thing for 7 years, you'd find a use for it. I suspect I flitted most of these trims when we moved up to Inverness in 1989 - and back down when we moved here in 2000! I know my Grandad would be proud of me! :oD

Debbie sent me a photo of Emily wearing her new denim skirt - how gorgeous does she look?

The other young lady getting skirts was Joanna. Not nearly as fancy as Emily's skirts but she likes them - thankfully!

One in the Lindsay tartan:

And one in a grey stripe - the stripe is hardly visible in real life, never mind in photos!

I used some bias binding I'd made (a few years ago) instead of the skirt facings and also put it around the inside of the hem.

I suppose Joanna's skirts are quite fancy then - on the inside! :oD

Tuesday, 25 April 2017

making a lookalike outfit

I made a dress for Emily recently:

Here's the back. Does this ring any bells?

I used this pattern - Burda 9752 view B but I lengthened the sleeves.

Then I found a free hat pattern online and made a wee yellow hat. Any bells yet?

Then I knitted up a pink pair of bootees.

Does anything look familiar yet?

How about now?

When we were over at Debbie's last weekend, we tried everything on baby Emily and put her and dolly Emily together to see how good they looked together.

Gorgeous, yes?

The dress fits perfectly, the hat is a bit big and the bootees were really only made to complete the lookalike outfit but we all think both Emilys look amazing!

Fun times!

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

best Auntie ever!

Before Emily arrived, Joanna (Auntie in the title of this post) got busy making a mobile for her. It has various felt things hanging on it - all made by Joanna. A Scottish saltire (flag)

... a saw (her daddy's a talented woodworker), a pink E for Emily ...

... a moose with a maple leaf hanging behind it (daddy's Canadian) ...

... a bright yellow daisy ...

... a camera (Debbie (mama) is an excellent photographer) ...

... a chocolate chip cookie ...

and Molly (her dog).

As you'll have noticed in all of the above photos, Emily LOVES her mobile. Absolutely adores it. Her wee baby suit says it all!